[parisc-linux] Re: compiler & kernel (2)

Joel Soete joel.soete@tiscali.be
Sat, 07 Jun 2003 21:49:32 +0000

M. Grabert wrote:

>On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Joel Soete wrote:
>

>>I launch it on my b2k and it seems to works fine (any boot pb); I so use
>>it to rebuild te same kernel with gcc-3.3.
>>It also compiles well (in about 12min).
>>But I notice something strange: runing a top in another xterm, I notice
>>that swap was well on but absolutly not used where usually my kernel
>>(near about debian std cfg) used about 20Mb of swap (with 256Mb of ram).
>>Is it a wanted behaviour? (config option?)
>>

>I don't think I can help you here, I hardly run out of physical memory
>(I've 1GB RAM in my machine), but during my tests I was able to
>deliberately force the machine to run out of memory and using swap.
>I never see the kernel using swap on my machine at all, unless I really
>want it to happen ;)
>
>So swap for me works, but I hardly will ever have to come into a situation
>where heavy use of swap space will be required (at least I hope so).
>
>Max

Max,

I will so have a more detail look in your config.

(the other server I can use is a N model with 2Mb wich I do not see used
more than 1.7 Mb and so not need to swap :-) ; OTC my 256Mb (or less)
boxes usualy need swap. Let see)

Thanks for info,
    Joel

PS: Do you still encounter starvation pb?