[parisc-linux] Re: compiler & kernel (2)

M. Grabert xam@cs.ucc.ie
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 21:39:32 +0100 (IST)

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Joel Soete wrote:

> I launch it on my b2k and it seems to works fine (any boot pb); I so use
> it to rebuild te same kernel with gcc-3.3.
> It also compiles well (in about 12min).
> But I notice something strange: runing a top in another xterm, I notice
> that swap was well on but absolutly not used where usually my kernel
> (near about debian std cfg) used about 20Mb of swap (with 256Mb of ram).
> Is it a wanted behaviour? (config option?)

I don't think I can help you here, I hardly run out of physical memory
(I've 1GB RAM in my machine), but during my tests I was able to
deliberately force the machine to run out of memory and using swap.
I never see the kernel using swap on my machine at all, unless I really
want it to happen ;)

So swap for me works, but I hardly will ever have to come into a situation
where heavy use of swap space will be required (at least I hope so).

Max