[parisc-linux] ibm-disk on a hp 735/125

Joerg Krebs joerg.krebs@physik.uni-muenchen.de
10 Jan 2003 13:58:51 +0100

Am Fre, 2003-01-10 um 13.42 schrieb Nahkola Mikko:
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 05:44:31PM +0100, ext Joerg Krebs wrote:
>
> > im running a hp 735/125 with a st31200wd 1GB harddisk, connected to the
> > fast-wide scsi-connector, which run's quit nice.
> > But now I want to replace the disk with a larger 4,3GB ibm dcas-34330
> > disk, but I can't get it be detected by the system, I think i used the
> > same jumper settings as on the old seagate drive.
> > at the search for potential boot devices nothing appears.
>
> I'd say that probably the IBM disk isn't high-voltage. The 735's
> fast-wide is fast-wide-highvoltage-differential, back then they thought
> that no one in their right minds would try to do FWSE and no one had
> thought about LVD yet, or something...

Yes you are right, I found the HP 735 Hardware manual on the openpa
Webside and there i found that the wide-scsi connector is just for HVD

Do you know if any HVD disk is detected by the hp or are there just some
special disks for the hp ?

> And IIRC the -wd in the Seagate model code means about that too. I don't
> know about IBM specifically.
>
> > So perhaps someones uses the same harddisk and can tell me the right
> > jumper-settings, the disk itself works fine with a normal PC with a
> > scsi-wide controller.
>
> Well, if it works in a normal PC, that usually means that it isn't HVD. I
> only know of two HVD adapters for PCs, Adaptec AHA-1744 and 2944, and
> those were always expensive ...
>
> I suppose you could get the disk to work on a single-ended interface or
> get an appropriate EISA card.
>
> Besides, do you mean that the 735 FWD interface works in Linux/parisc
> nowadays? Great...

No linux/parisc isn`t working with FWD , I suppose, I run my HP still
under HP-UX, i have another hp 735/99 on which I want to install linux
on it, but there i have se disks in it, for now I'm running linux/parisc
only on a 715/75 with an older version of linux/parisc (the one without
hil mouse support)

Thanks for your help

	J.Krebs

> --
> Mikko Nahkola   <mikko.nahkola@nokia.com>
> Tre-IN sysadmin <mnahkola@trein.ntc.nokia.com>

                         ''~``
                        ( o o )
+------------------.oooO--(_)--Oooo.------------------+
|                                                     |
|                    .oooO                            |
|                    (   )   Oooo.                    |
Joerg Krebs            \_)    ) /
Oettingenstr. 67             (_/
80538 Muenchen
Raum: Z1.16