[parisc-linux] ibm-disk on a hp 735/125

Nahkola Mikko mnahkola@trinms01.ntc.nokia.com
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:42:10 +0200

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 05:44:31PM +0100, ext Joerg Krebs wrote:

> im running a hp 735/125 with a st31200wd 1GB harddisk, connected to the
> fast-wide scsi-connector, which run's quit nice.
> But now I want to replace the disk with a larger 4,3GB ibm dcas-34330
> disk, but I can't get it be detected by the system, I think i used the
> same jumper settings as on the old seagate drive.
> at the search for potential boot devices nothing appears.

I'd say that probably the IBM disk isn't high-voltage. The 735's
fast-wide is fast-wide-highvoltage-differential, back then they thought
that no one in their right minds would try to do FWSE and no one had
thought about LVD yet, or something...

And IIRC the -wd in the Seagate model code means about that too. I don't
know about IBM specifically.

> So perhaps someones uses the same harddisk and can tell me the right
> jumper-settings, the disk itself works fine with a normal PC with a
> scsi-wide controller.

Well, if it works in a normal PC, that usually means that it isn't HVD. I
only know of two HVD adapters for PCs, Adaptec AHA-1744 and 2944, and
those were always expensive ...

I suppose you could get the disk to work on a single-ended interface or
get an appropriate EISA card.

Besides, do you mean that the 735 FWD interface works in Linux/parisc
nowadays? Great...

--
Mikko Nahkola   <mikko.nahkola@nokia.com>
Tre-IN sysadmin <mnahkola@trein.ntc.nokia.com>