[parisc-linux] X problems...

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 22:15:06 -0700

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 05:42:29PM -0800, Dan Baker wrote:
> BUT, I did download source code for HP's Intel linux visualize driver. I
> can't get it to compile, the assembler tells me there's an invalid opcode
> (??) in the .o file. I'm not really a programmer, so I'm hoping somebody out
> there can take a look at what they're doing and fix it.

Well, it's not that easy even for someone who can read C.

First, some bad news:
o x86 version of the card has extra VGA cruft+BIOS.
  PA-Risc version uses STI firmware for initialization.
o IIRC, the X11 server (or maybe just gfx card driver?) is a custom,
  closed source code.  Hopefully I'm wrong and someone will correct me.
o I'll guess that many (most of the?) interesting bits are in the XF86
  hpgfx driver module. I'm assuming one exists.

Good news: 3d acceleration for x86 cards uses the same RISC engines
as the parisc cards.

Several years ago I asked someone in the HP gfx group if they
could port the HPUX driver to parisc-linux but our port wasn't
ready then (I think it is now). The gfx driver interacts *alot*
with the rest of the kernel *and* the X11 server.
The above is what I remember from conversations with people.

> The files are at
>
> ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/ccd/soar2sdd/wk207/wk207en/hpgraphics_kernel-1.5.3-1.sr
> c.rpm
> and
> ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/ccd/soar2sdd/wk207/wk207en/hpgraphics_kernel-1.5.3-1.sr
> c.rpm

uhm...'cuse me, but aren't those the same?

hth
grant