[parisc-linux] Re: [parisc-linux-cvs] linux-2.5 jejb

James Bottomley James.Bottomley@steeleye.com
17 Feb 2003 11:30:33 -0500

On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 10:57, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> > CVSROOT:	/var/cvs
> > Module name:	linux-2.5
> > Changes by:	jejb	03/02/16 11:10:21
> >
> > Modified files:
> > 	arch/parisc/kernel: signal.c sys32.h
> > 	include/asm-parisc: signal.h
> >
> > Log message:
> > More signal change fixes
>
> Thanks for all the great work James!

You're welcome, but these were really just compile fixes.

> Just to comment on this, we have incorrect sigcontext's from 64-bit kernels.
> If you look at the usage of "HACK" you'll see that the 32-bit userspace
> gets some rather unusable 64-bit values in the sigcontext. I'm not sure how
> other arches fix this? Cut off the top 32 bits?
>
> This item is on my personal todo list, but I haven't talked to anyone who has
> suggested a solution. I'm just a lowly GNU/Libc hacker, but if you suggest
> something I _will_ write it.

In general, we should probably be relying more on the generic 32/64
compatibility layer recently introduced.  I suspect the best role model
for all of this is sparc64, since that's habitually run as a 64 bit
kernel with (mostly) 32 bit user space.

The HACK thing should continue to work OK as long as PA-RISC has no 64
bit user binary support, though.

James