[parisc-linux] Re: kernel 2.6 for hppa status?

Thibaut VARENE varenet@esiee.fr
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:38:41 +0200

--=.Qjpr3j(rw5Je4.

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:03:54 +0100
Matthew Wilcox <willy@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 09:29:35PM +0300, Martin-=C9ric Racine wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >=20
> > Having just tried kernel 2.6 (the release candidate found in unstable)
> > on i386, I found it to bring a _tremendous_ improvement in
> > responsiveness and especially in userspace stuff like XFree. Given how
> > this 712 is the slowest machine in my LAN, I was wondering if any work
> > is being done on 2.6 for hppa and when is the first release expected?=20
> > Thanks!
>=20
> -> parisc-linux.org where we have 2.6.0-test4.
> When might there be a debian package for it?  Don't know, not my
> department.

If it was up to me i guess it wouldn't take much time. I have to discuss
that with either you and bdale, to state *how* we want it done...

Anyway, let me remind you that as for generating 2.6 netinsts, i _do_ need
arch/parisc/debian-configs/* files to provide you with a 2.6 package.

Since i'm not willing to find out by myself what we want and what we don't
want in 2.6 "debian stock" kernel configs (that's a matter for the b-f
maintainer i guess, or maybe my kernel package mentor - aka bdale - has
some ideas about it ;), i won't be able to do anything _prior_ to these
files appearance in our CVS tree...

> But the -pa patch is a tiny fraction of the size of the 2.4 patch, so
> it'll be much easier for everyone.

that's for sure!

HTH,

Thibaut VARENE