[parisc-linux] testing HP-PA risc hardware

Beerse, Corne c.beerse@torex-hiscom.nl
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 16:29:35 +0200

------_=_NextPart_001_01C35839.54B564E0

Hi,

Here I have an HP D370 machine that (during my holidays) crashed. Since the
machine was replaced since long and only kept running for fast access to old
stuff, not a real problem.

At first, we suspected the boot disk since its led keeps buring. However,
booting HP-UX from CDRom for a new fresh install, the boot of the kernel
crashes at roughly the same point, even with all disks removed. Hence we
suspected the core memory. However, changing or replacing the memory does
not change anything in the behavoure.

Is there a way to somehow test the hardware of a PA-Risc machine? Either
from HP or from the linux world?

Kind of like the test tools as found on the (intel-) linux distributions?

btw: I can get debian-woody booted up to the message that if this is the
last message on screen, check the faq. A second terminal (HP 700/96) on tty1
shows a lot of (vt100?) junk. How can I either put the HP700/96 terminal in
VT100 mode or whats the magic name of this terminal in the 'TERM=...' kernel
parameter?

CBee

mailto:c.beerse@torex-hiscom.nl

------_=_NextPart_001_01C35839.54B564E0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2654.45">
<TITLE>testing HP-PA risc hardware</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Here I have an HP D370 machine that (during my =
holidays) crashed. Since the machine was replaced since long and only =
kept running for fast access to old stuff, not a real =
problem.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>At first, we suspected the boot disk since its led =
keeps buring. However, booting HP-UX from CDRom for a new fresh =
install, the boot of the kernel crashes at roughly the same point, even =
with all disks removed. Hence we suspected the core memory. However, =
changing or replacing the memory does not change anything in the =
behavoure.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Is there a way to somehow test the hardware of a =
PA-Risc machine? Either from HP or from the linux world?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Kind of like the test tools as found on the (intel-) =
linux distributions?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>btw: I can get debian-woody booted up to the message =
that if this is the last message on screen, check the faq. A second =
terminal (HP 700/96) on tty1 shows a lot of (vt100?) junk. How can I =
either put the HP700/96 terminal in VT100 mode or whats the magic name =
of this terminal in the 'TERM=3D...' kernel parameter?</FONT></P>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>CBee</FONT>
</P>