[parisc-linux] Re: HP C180-XP CDROM boot.

Derek Engelhaupt derekengelhaupt@rocketmail.com
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 18:00:17 -0700 (PDT)

--0-268550428-1050627617=:40984

That part number is just a standard HP CDROM from a UNIX workstation as it should be coming out of a C180.  It is and will boot if you are booting from a bootable CD.  If you burned a netiso image and it won't boot, I'd start there.  You could test it's ability to boot by trying to boot an HP OS install disk.  If that works, it's your Debian CD.  If that doesn't work, then it sounds like you have a bad CDROM.  You can also do a "sea ipl" from the main menu prompt after the system finishes selftest.  If the media in the drive or on the hard drives is bootable, they will show up.  This search does take some time because it is actually reading the boot sectors of the tape, CD, or hard drives it's scanning.  I would say if you hear your CD spin up and look for the boot sector during this search and it doesn't come back with bootable media, I would verify your CD you are trying to boot from. derekHP CE

Thibaut VARENE <varenet@esiee.fr> wrote:First of all, this is definitly the LAST time I answer a private mail
coming from a m-l thread. Nothing personnal there, but you're not the
first one, and i'm getting tired repeating the same remarks again and
again.

I'll add a comment about not answering mails in private on the
mailing-list webpage right now since it's not clearly stated.

The most obvious reason NOT TO DO SO is that I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT'S WRONG
with your setup, but somebody else on the m-l might.

Since you didn't CC'd the m-l, if i hadn't posted back to the m-l you
would have lost any chance to get that info.

And for what it's worth, this is not a private lesson. m-l archives are
useful for other buggers to find info in it, darn it! :P

Thibaut VARENE
The PA/Linux ESIEE Team
http://pateam.esiee.fr/