[parisc-linux] color recovery

MichaelS.Zick MichaelS.Zick
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:33:26 -0500

On Wednesday 16 April 2003 12:59 pm, M. Grabert wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 01:28:43PM +0100, M. Grabert wrote:
> > > My Precisionbook obviously has a Visualize-EG with just 2MB.
> > > So it should be able to display at least 800x600 in 24/32bit and
> > > 1024x768 in 16bit, but it refuses to do so. 'dmesg' ALWAYS shows
> > > only 8bit colour depth regardless of the display resolution.
> >
> > Visualize-EG is 8 bit only. That's a hardware limitation.
>
> The manual says something different/strange ... the LCD actually supports
> 16M colours, and so does the Visualize-EG (HP Graphitti).
>
> ... together with the fact that it just has 2MB onboard there is only
> one possibility: they are referring to HP's color recovery technique.

Yup.

> Is there ANY way that color recovery will be supported anytime in the
> future?

There has been a lot of mails on this list on this subject;
sorry that I don't have the pointers handy, but...

A search of the FAQ and the mailing list archive should lead you to
how others have dealt with this problem - including getting 8-bit X
to work on the machines.

Also, somewhere on the site(s) are some special X config files.
It isn't hopeless, just not pretty.

Mike