[parisc-linux] Re: Presicionbook success

Gavin Hubbard ghub005@xtra.co.nz
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 01:15:31 +1200

>On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 01:07:06PM +0100, M. Grabert wrote:
>> I just wanted you to inform that I successfully installed
>> Debian testing on my Presicionbook.
>
>Sweet!
>
>> - The precompiled kernel from the EISEE team may hang ...
>>
>>   ... since it has support for the CMD PCI0643 IDE Busmaster chip,
>>   which is obviously used in the Presicionbook, but the driver
>>   doensn't/mustn't be used in Linux, since it causes confusion!
>>   So add "ide=nodma" or something similar to the kernel parameters
>>   (using the IPL) or simply recompile the kernel with no IDE support.
>>
>>   (The Presicionbook uses 2.5" IDE harddrives, obviously connected
>>    to the CMD chip, but they automagically appear as SCSI drives on LASI
>>    SCSI.)
>
>*blink*.  That's pretty weird.  Could you send the device listing that
>dmesg produces, and the results of lspci?

Before anyone loses too much sleep over this, the Precisionbook has
internal SCSI-IDE bridges that sit between the HBA and the drives. I
believe a similar system was used in some of the earlier Apple Powerbooks.

Regards,

Gavin