[parisc-linux] Re: Presicionbook success

M. Grabert xam@cs.ucc.ie
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:09:58 +0100 (IST)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, [iso-8859-1] "Beerse, Corn=E9" wrote:

> Is this something like
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20030130/index.html ? Then you
> (electronically) cannot find any ide at all, its hidden behind the scsi
> interface. If you see part of it, then best to try to handle it as good a=
> possible (try 'not at all' for a start). I think the 'will probe later' c=
an
> be canceled, triggered by a found scsi interface.

The hard disks are removeable, but there is no obvious IDE-SCSI bridge
visible. It is build-in inside the laptop (i.e. non-removeable), and it's
obviously visible from the OS (at least linux sees the IDE chip). Whether
you can make any sensible use of it is a different question though ...

> For what its worth, I think the IRQ is hooked to the scsi interface, not =
> the processor.

This would make sense.

> btw, what does an `ioscan` from HP-UX report? I guess it only sees scsi.

Good question, I don't have the HP-UX root password. The Precisionbook
comes with two 4GB hard disks, both with HP-UX installed, but I have to
ask for the password (or does anybody know how to easily gain root access?)=
,
which I haven't done yet.

Greetings, Max