[parisc-linux] parisc-linux.org kernel

Grant Grundler grundler@parisc-linux.org
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 23:50:03 -0600

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 07:23:15PM +0200, pageexec@freemail.hu wrote:
> > > To willy's credit, he's attempted to merge 2.4 parisc changes upstream
> > > at least twice but was torpedo'd both times.
> >
> > i don`t want to know ;-)
>
> actually, i'd like to (feel free to answer off-list),

Once the 2.4.20-preX bk tree that willy was using as "parent"
was discarded by marcelo because of other bugs in patches.
Or marcelo wouldn't accept the patch because he had a -pre candidate
and didn't want to risk that. Just stuff like that.

> since for all the
> other archs grsec/PaX runs on we could compile a working kernel from the
> vanilla tree - it just seems a mystery why parisc is an exception (not
> blaming anyone, just would like to see it more clear).

As willy noted, parisc is not an exception. last time willy looked at
merging, the 2.4 diff was something like 2 or 3MB. I'd hope it's a bit
smaller since Alan Cox merge a bunch of stuff into his tree.
But I haven't looked if/when Marcelo picked any of that up.
For comparison, last I heard, the 2.5 diff is something like < 100KB.

grant