[parisc-linux] Sound on C3000

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 22:19:38 -0700

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 01:42:40PM -0500, FUHRMAN,SCOTT (HP-Boise,ex1) wrote:
> I ham enjoying a C3000 (400MHz) machine running hppa Debian, with kernel
> 2.4.20-32.
> Everything is working except the sound.  Sound server can start up, but
> does not have a device to output to.

As randolph pointed out, you need to "modprobe ad1889".
If that doesn't work, apt-get the kernel source and rebuild
with ad1889 if you are determined to have a go at it.

ad1889 driver "works" if you use a very low standard to define "working".
ad1889 only takes .wav format input at 48Khz. I forget the command
line for mpg321 to directed mpg321 to spew .wav format directly
at the /dev/audio device. And when playing mp3s, I wouldn't stress
the machine with other workloads while it's running.

grant