[parisc-linux] PDC console problem.

Naresh knaresh@india.hp.com
Tue, 01 Apr 2003 12:35:32 -0600

Hi,

I am trying to boot PA-Linux off a PA-RISC simulator. I am facing a
problem with the PDC console. On my first attempt, I saw the message
asking me to switch the console. So I  turned the PDC console config
option on ( the serial mux option was turned off). I added the parameter
'console=ttyB0' in 'palo.conf'. I created the device file '/dev/ttyB0'
with major/minor = 11/0 on my ramdisk. With this, the kernel boots up on
the simulator all the way upto the sash ( Stand-alone shell) prompt. I
can even see the prompt. But, the problem is that this console doesnt
seem to be accepting input from the keyboard. It is kind of like in a
locked state.

I was going through some of the FAQ and the mailing list archive and
understand that the PDC console is not a full blown console and can only
display output. Is is true that the PDC console cannot accept keyboard
input? Or am I missing something?

I also see that there are 2 versions of the PDC console driver :
'arch/parisc/kernel/pdc_cons.c' and 'drivers/char/pdc_console.c'. Both
use the device ttyB. From what I understand, the former is used before
any of the serial drivers are initialized during boot, and has only
write capability. The latter is the full-blown console driver (though I
am not sure if it has write capability). Is my understanding correct?

I am using the source tarball 'palo-latest.tar.gz' from the parisc-linux
cvs respository and cross-compiling this on an x86 box.

Regards,
Naresh.

PS: My "init" process is 'sash' and I also have a '/dev/console' device
( major=5 minor=1) on my ramdisk. The Serial driver config option is on
and I can see it being initialized in the boot path after the PDC
console.