[parisc-linux] Making SYM2 default SYM-SCSI driver instead of SYM1

Thibaut VARENE varenet@esiee.fr
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 12:14:53 +0200

Le vendredi, 13 sep 2002, =E0 21:09 Europe/Paris, Grant Grundler a =E9crit=
 :

> Thibaut VARENE wrote:
>> Now I'm asking you to know if anybody has an objection against making
>> SYM2 the default driver in debian-configs instead of old SYM1.
>
> I don't. All the boxes I care about have 53c8xx chips in them.
>
> A slightly safer approach is to make sym2 the default for PA2.0 =
systems
> and the old sym the default for PA1.1 systems. But GSC/HSC c720 cards
> don't fit that model since they go into systems with either sub-arch.
> I don't see a way around users "tuning" based on actual HW=20
> configuration.
Well, this might be a good solution, though IIRC, Randolph Chung=20
mentioned
that sym1 is b0rken in Linux 2.5.

Therefore making sym2 default for both archs may be preferable for=20
future compatibility?

Anyway, I think we can start with making sym2 default for PA2.0,=20
keeping sym1 for PA1.1,
and then "wait and see".

If everything goes well, we can switch PA1.1 as well.

Opinions ? :)

Thibaut VARENE
PA/Linux ESIEE Team
http://pateam.esiee.fr/=