[parisc-linux] long bus walk times on boot up

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:40:11 +0000

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 07:30:41AM -0800, Derek Engelhaupt wrote:

> Well, my C180 is gone to a new home and my C360 is well on it's
> way, but I had a question about the new netinstall ISO's out there.
> I had been running the 2.4.19-pa19-20020922-netinst.iso on the C180 and
> it didn't have the bus walk issues that cause the long boot up times.
> I really would like to avoid having my C360 take 20+ minutes to boot up.
> Are there any real huge issues with running this older kernal on my C360
> or are there any immediate plans to fix the issues of having to walk
> the entire bus?  I'm still a little weary of compiling my own kernal
> (only done this through SAM on HP-UX), but if I was forced to I could
> probably figure it out using the HOWTO's.  Is there a kernal parameter
> I could tweak that could resolve the long bus walk times?  Or am I just
> totally off base?  :)

2.4.19-pa19 should run fine on a C360.  the long bus walk problem
isn't yet fixed in the 2.4 CVS (but should be fixed in the 2.5 tree).
this isn't a ploy to persuade more people to use 2.5; it's just ryan
didn't get around to it yet ;-)