[parisc-linux] glibc 2.3.1 - It's alive! - patches

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 01:21:29 +0000

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 08:05:17PM -0500, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> Lastly, I think that the fp* tests suffer from the printf bug?

Last I looked, we suffered from the fact that glibc thinks `long double'
is 96 bits, gcc thinks `long double' is 64 bits and gcc-hpux thinks that
`long double' is 128 bits.  I've been whining about this for over a year
and nothing's happened.  I think it's fairly clear that not much uses
long double, otherwise we'd've noticed more failure cases.  So changing
both gcc & glibc to a 128-bit long double is the Right Thing to do and
we can just suck up this ABI breakage.

In case anyone's wondering, the architecture specifies 32-bit, 64-bit and
128-bit floating point registers as being available.  My understanding is
that no processor has actually implemented the 128-bit floating point ops
(except maybe load and store) and they always trap to the FP emulation
code (which we copied from HPUX).