[parisc-linux] Can I run popular Linux software on parisc-linux?

Helge Deller deller@gmx.de
Tue, 28 May 2002 00:43:09 +0200

On Monday 27 May 2002 23:59, Zibing Yang wrote:
> --- Jeremy Drake <jeremyd@apptechsys.com> wrote:

> > > Helge, can you provide more information about your
> > > computer running Bochs? Are you able to run, for
> > > example, windows 98, install stardard
> >
> > windows-based
> >
> > > softwares? How's the speed compared to the same
> > > software run on PC+windows? Why didn't use wine?
> > > I am still heavily relying on windows-based
> >
> > software
> >
> > > everyday, so would love to install a
> >
> > windows-emulator
> >
> > > on my hp workstation.
> > > Thanks a lot.
> > > zibing
> >
> > I also tried bochs on my parisc machine.  It works
> > ok, although slow.  I
> > installed NT 4 in it.  I had a few problems, but I
> > was able to work around
> > them.
> >
> > The reason that wine won't work is that wine is just
> > a windows system call
> > emulator.  The program executes on the cpu, and I'm
> > sure that none of your
> > windows programs will run on a parisc cpu :)
>
> How about plex86?

Quote from the plex86 homepage (http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/plex86):
"Note:If you want to run IA-32 on a non-IA-32 architecture, then bochs is the project that you want to checkout--look for them over at SourceForge."

> Plex 86, bochs and wine are all listed on
> http://packages.debian.org/testing/allpackages.html.
> I am confused because I thought all packages listed
> there ought to work with parisc.

No, it's just a collection of _all_ source packages available.
Not all will run on any platform, e.g. there's normally no reason to get lilo for PA-RISC,
where you have to use the palo bootloader.

Last time I tried bochs was ~ 4 months back. I used it on a C3000 (400 MHz PA 2.0 CPU, UP)
and if it's speed was comparable as an 486 class CPU -iirc.

Greetings,
Helge