[parisc-linux] Can I run popular Linux software on parisc-linux?

Zibing Yang email2bing@yahoo.com
Mon, 27 May 2002 14:59:05 -0700 (PDT)

--- Jeremy Drake <jeremyd@apptechsys.com> wrote:

> > > emulator on parisc-linux.
> > >
> > > fyi, bochs compiled from CVS sources (with small
> > > modifications) worked
> > > for me.
> >
> > Helge, can you provide more information about your
> > computer running Bochs? Are you able to run, for
> > example, windows 98, install stardard
> windows-based
> > softwares? How's the speed compared to the same
> > software run on PC+windows? Why didn't use wine?
> > I am still heavily relying on windows-based
> software
> > everyday, so would love to install a
> windows-emulator
> > on my hp workstation.
> > Thanks a lot.
> > zibing
> I also tried bochs on my parisc machine.  It works
> ok, although slow.  I
> installed NT 4 in it.  I had a few problems, but I
> was able to work around
> them.
>
> The reason that wine won't work is that wine is just
> a windows system call
> emulator.  The program executes on the cpu, and I'm
> sure that none of your
> windows programs will run on a parisc cpu :)

How about plex86? Plex 86, bochs and wine are all
listed on
http://packages.debian.org/testing/allpackages.html.
I am confused because I thought all packages listed
there ought to work with parisc.