[parisc-linux] Re: Kernel 2.4.17-32-smp problem

Jeremy Drake jeremyd@apptechsys.com
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 09:33:16 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Grant Grundler wrote:

> Jeremy Drake wrote:
> > Recently, I ran apt-get upgrade, and it upgraded my kernel-image
> > 2.4.17-32-smp.  I rebooted, and the box now crashes periodically.
>
> Where you running an SMP kernel before?
> (If so, which version?)

I was running 2.4.17-32-smp before.  It just updated a debian package of
the same kernel version.  I had no problems with the old one, other than
the fact that it seems to ignore cpu0.  All processor time goes to cpu1
and cpu0 gets a ton of idle.

> Normally I'd say get the latest (2.4.18 based) kernel.
> But I know the SMP variant hangs on my A500 pretty quickly.
> I haven't had a chance to debug this since I've been spending spare
> cycle working on PA8700 support (bug workarounds in SBA code).

When the box crashed both times, I was checking out the cvs tree :)