[parisc-linux] 'foreign' PCI cards in an rp2430

Martin K. Petersen mkp@mkp.net
08 Mar 2002 09:04:47 -0500

Duraid> In particular, I'm wondering about 3ware IDE RAID cards (these
Duraid> work in (at least) alpha and x86 linux)

I don't think there are high hopes for the 3ware card.  At least not
unless you preconfigure it on a PC.

Alpha happens to work because its firmware includes a simple x86
simulator that executes the BIOS code on the card.  That way you can
configure your disk setup, etc.

We don't have similar functionality on PA-RISC.  So you are limited
what can be done from within Linux.

Unfortunately the 3ware management utility is 386 binary-only.
I.e. you can't configure the card once you get Linux up and running
either.

--
Martin K. Petersen      Cereal Bowl Engineer, Linuxcare, Inc.
http://mkp.net/         SGI XFS, Linux/PA-RISC, GNOME