[parisc-linux] my find... (and a plea for advice)

Ted Love ted@tedlove.com
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:13:45 -0400

The other day, I stumbled on to an HP 745 machine.  Figuring I could
do "something" with it, and having the urge to dive into playing with a RISC
box(and another linux machine), I stumbled on to your community here.
The box itself is the prod # A2638B (if that means anything to anyone)
I found the pdf manual for the 700i series on hp.com, and deduced that it is
the 745.  Here's the sticky part:
1. I conected the vga connector to several different monitors and booted the
machine - no display.
2. I tried running a serial cable to it and hyperterm-ing in to it to at least
see if I get a login... nothing.
The lights blink as its booting, and it appears to complete an entire boot
process, then idle with the OS light on.  I believe it still has the original
HP-UX on it.
3. I don't have a HP-HIL keyboard, nor an AUI adapter to put it on my RJ45
switch.
4. There is no floppy or CD-ROM drive in this machine, and I do not have a
SCSI CD drive.

I have scoured the lists looking for info on how I might crack into this
thing.  I dont mind picking up the AUI adapter, but I want to make sure I can
get into the machine (and if it works).  Any advice regarding getting the
display to work, or any leads on an HIL keyboard would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

--
Ted Love