[parisc-linux] STI problem on 715/50 with new kernels

Carlos O'Donell Jr. carlos@baldric.uwo.ca
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 19:16:02 -0400

> I have an Appolo 715/50 with debian installed on it.  I have upgraded to
> the 2.4.18 kernel but when the kernel boots, the STI display goes blank.
> Everything works except I can't see the image.  When I press reset, the
> firmware comes up and I can see the output from the linux kernel on the
> screen still.
>
> If someone can help it would be much appreciated.  The 2.4.9 kernel has
> some kind of problem with the framebuffer so I can't run X.
>
> John.

I would recommend getting the latest kernel source from
cvs.paris-linux.org and compiling a new kernel with STI
fbdev enabled.

http://cvs.parisc-linux.org/

Make sure that the following is in your ~/.cvsrc
cvs -z3 -q
diff -uNp
update -Pd
remove -f

And then...

export  CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.parisc-linux.org:/var/cvs
cvs co linux palo
cd linux
make oldconfig
make menuconfig (enable fbdev and all the goodies you need)
... munge ./palo/Makefile for any custom parameters to your kernel
make dep
make palo

Then boot ./palo/lifimage :)

c.