[parisc-linux] HP attempts to silence security researchers using the DMCA

Derek Engelhaupt derekengelhaupt@rocketmail.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:34:26 -0700 (PDT)

--- Grant Grundler <grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com> wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
> > http://news.com.com/2100-1023-947325.html
>
> *sigh*. :^(
>
> > I seem to have a pair of parisc boxes here. Perhaps someone at HP
> would
> > care to publically explain their actions, or chould kindly arrange
> for
> > the collection of their hardware ?
>
> The battle inside HP has started. I'm not privy to details.
> And I don't want to hear them right now.
> I'm looking forward to the public explanation as well.
>
> But this is a parisc-linux mailing list.  I don't want to turn it
> into
> a "Bash HP because Kent Ferson is an ..." forum.  Got to /. for that.
>
> Or use the "Contact Us" link on http://www.hp.com.
> Please include links to relevant News articles and express your
> concerns in an manner as civil as Alan Cox has. Your email will
> get directed to the right "new HP" divisions.
>
> thanks,
> grant

Being an HP employee (not a Compaq now HP employee) for the last 5
years I can't make any factual comments about this particular issue
since I work in the HP-UX realm.  True64 was a DEC product, then
Compaq, and now ours.  Although the legal portion of the merger is
complete, many of the opperations at HP and Compaq have remained
unchanged.  I still don't work on Compaq equipment and they don't work
on ours.  I will not ever work on Compaq/DEC/Tandom stuff.  Being one
company now on paper doesn't necessarily mean that the statements from
the article came from the original HP side.  Like I said earlier
though....mearly speculation.  There are many differences between the
way HP does business and the way the Compaq does business.  Eventually
it will be one in the same, but right now we are still in a major
transition period.  I'm not excusing the suits for their statements
because I don't believe that exposing a security hole is a bad thing.
Having had a Top Secret security clearance and worked at both the
Pentagon and the National Security Agency I am very aware of the need
for security.  I still would rather work for HP than Microsoft...LOL

derek