[parisc-linux] compiling kernels with gcc-3.2

Carlos O'Donell carlos@baldric.uwo.ca
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 14:54:19 -0400

> tausq@a500:~$ uname -a
> Linux version 2.4.18-pa54 (tausq@a500) (gcc version 3.2 20020711 (experimental)) #2 SMP Fri Jul 12 22:04:23 PDT 2002
> tausq@a500:~$
>
> I'm quite perplexed about why it doesn't seem to always work for
> others... i didn't really have to do anything special with either gcc or
> the kernel to get it to boot.
>
> randolph

I think the issue is one of quality assurance. We don't have a strict
set of criteria for testing/validating/certifying that a given snapshot
of a given toolchain, in a given configuration, will work.

I'm trying to address some of these things by building a cross-check
test-suite to test the toolchain weekly or nightly. This all came out
of a talk I had with Matt Taggart :) who is another toolchain-junkie.

When I get more work done I'll post.

c.