[parisc-linux] HOWTO: Using HIL keyboard and HIL mouse on PARISC

Helge Deller deller@gmx.de
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 00:45:10 +0200

On Wednesday 10 July 2002 00:04, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> > When trying to build my kernel (-pa52) with the new HIL support I got
> > this while building vmlinux:
> >
> > drivers/hil/hil.o: In function `.L1369':
> > drivers/hil/hil.o(.text.hil_kbd_connect+0x4f8): undefined reference to
> > `register_ps2_keybfuncs'
> >
> > Could someone please let me know what I am doing wrong (leaving out)?  I
> > have attached my .config (for a J5k).
> >
> > Thanks
>
> J,
>
> Until the hp_psaux.c driver is converted to input layer, you'll
> have to compile in the GSC PS2 driver code to get it all right.
>
> CONFIG_GSC_PS2=y
>
> I'm currently working with Thomas to make the conversion.
>
> Helge, any idea why we even call that function from hil_kbd?
> I'm at a loss to explain the reasoning...

Hi Carlos,

>From HIL we send keystrokes as virtual KEY_XYZ values to the linux input layer.
There those keystrokes are converted by an internal table to AT-style keystrokes
and then fed into the pckbd_translate() function which finally send the keycode
to the normal linux vt layer.

If we wouldn't register "our"  pckbd_translate() - which is in our hp_psaux.c and
hp_keyb.c sources - through the register_ps2_keybfuncs() helper function, most
of the HIL keys (e.g. all numpad-, cursor, ... -keys) would never be available in
our linux kernel.
As soon as hp_psaux.c and hp_keyb.c are converted, just remove this function and
all it's references in the HIL code.

I hope I could explain it somewhat understandable,

Greetings,
Helge