[parisc-linux] k210/819 Zalon driver

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 14:03:42 +0100

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 08:29:16AM +0100, Richard Hirst wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 10:56:01AM +0300, Stephan Trajkoff wrote:
> > Hi,
> > why I need to enable PCI/EISA to make available option zalon driver in
> > SCSI drivers?
> > My HP K210 don't have PCIs and EISA?!!?!?!?
>
> At the moment you have to enable PCI because that is the way the config
> script is organised.  I don't know if zalon support would build without
> PCI because it uses the ncr53c8xx driver which normally drives only PCI
> chips.  It is an area that needs attention anyway, because if you enable
> sym53c8xx_2 you wont get the zalon option at all (which is obviously
> wrong).
>
> Richard?!!?!?!?

Something else is that even if you don't have PCI slots, some of the cards
you have may contain a GSC<->PCI adapter and a PCI device.  The 100Mbit
& Gigabit lan cards are definitely like this and there may be others.

It probably is possible to compile the zalon driver without having PCI
enabled but it'll take a small amount of work to verify.