[parisc-linux] serial breakout box

collver@linuxfreemail.com collver@linuxfreemail.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:33:48 -0800

Hello,

I installed Debian on a pa-risc workstation.  Linux doesn't support the HIL
mouse, so I tried a serial mouse.  The serial port on the workstation seems
different: is 25 pin female (as opposed to male like a PC).  I can log into
the system through the serial port using Kermit.  But I must first set
carrier-watch off.  I am pretty sure my cable is right.  This leads me to
believe the serial port works, but that there is something unusual about it.

The serial mouse works fine going through a 9pin-25pin adapter to a PC
running Linux.  But it doesn't work at all going through the same adapter
(plus a gender changer) to the hp workstation.  I have also tried going
through a normal serial cable (to cross over transmit and receive),
with no luck.

Does anyone here have a rs232 breakout box they would be willing to loan
(or possibly sell) me?  I am interested in making this serial mouse work.
I would also be grateful for any tips from someone more experienced with
this hardware.

Thanks,

Ben

ps.
This is an Apollo 400 which has been upgraded to a 715T/50 (Trailways-50).