[parisc-linux] PALinux on HP9000/735-125

Daniel Engstrom 5116@telia.com
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 00:34:33 +0100

On 2002.01.06 23:29 Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> but that's not enough. I did that and setup the [EISA-] card with HPUX, but
> it's still unconfigured, when Linux finds it.

I think that the PDC only initialize a card that is used for booting. I also
think that Matthew Wilcox had a HP 100MB Ethernet interface up and running a
while ago. (The PDC might have initialzed that board when it searched for boot
devices.)
Another problem with EISA boards currently, is that most of them are bus-masters
and the current EISA support lacks the busmatering and DMA bits.

> The .cfg describes how to
> configure the different card parameters, eisa_config puts the selected
> params to a nvram, and some other part does the real card poking
> during kernel startup. Other platforms have that card poking stuff
> included into the firmware.

I have started an eeprom driver a while ago, and I started to try to decode the
EISA parts of the EEPROM. I have about half of it figured out I think, but the
other half seems to be somewhat hard.

I looked a doing a parser for the CFG files, but it turns out that there are a
lot of options and stuff. Even binary code overlays that are supposed to be
loaded and executed by the ECU (EISA configuration utility) exists. Adaptec
uses one for the AHA-274x. Not suppoered by HPUX, though.

/Daneil