[parisc-linux] Pb with dump driver.

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 21:01:08 +0000

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 12:08:18PM -0700, Grant Grundler wrote:
> You should be able to leverage most of the code from palo.
> Note that palo runs in th CPU in real-mode - not virtual mode.
> You might consider doing the same for the dump code and just
> be *very* careful about which functions you call.

You have to do that anyway.  If a device has managed to DMA all over
the kernel text, you have to have a completely independent dump
mechanism.  I personally HATE the idea of a kernel dump driver and
think that MPE's solution (on a TOC, dump the ram after reset) was
more elegant and easy to prove correct.

Note that grant disagrees with me on this.