[parisc-linux] B1000

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 21:43:31 -0700

Yasholomew Yashinski wrote:

>  I recently purchased an HP 9000/785/B1000. I tried to use the
> pasrisc*.iso as I've been using on my 712/*'s, however there appears to be
> issues using 32-bit as default.

32-bit kernel is preferred. B1000 can run both 32 or 64-bit kernels.

> Setting up a serial console for this
> machine will not be a trivial task, due to its location.

Is the machine difficult to access or is a *second* machine
with an available serial port hard to find? No old laptops about?

> Is there anyone
> on the list that has such a beast, I could discuss installation with?

B1000 is basically a slower (CPU), "smaller" (fewer DIMM/PCI slots) C3000.
Several people on list (including myself) have C3000.

>  My next attempt will be to setup an install using rbootd, however it
> appears I will require serial console access.

Yes.  Viz-EG PCI *may* get some support pretty soon. A few people are
playing with it right now.

But don't expect a new ISO anytime soon with Viz-EG PCI support.
Install 0.9.3, apt-get update/dist-upgrade,  and pull a kernel from
ftp.parisc-linux.org/kernels/32. Then you'll ready to grab bits
as soon as it works.

grant