[parisc-linux] SCSI Disks on a K580 Help Required

Steve.Grady@csiro.au Steve.Grady@csiro.au
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 07:33:37 +1000

Hi,

I got my hands on a K580 Quad processors, 4G Ram, CD, DDS3 Tape drive,
2 Fibre Channels on HSC, Dual 100BaseT network connectors on HSC,
FW SCSI on HSC and 2 SCSI interface on HPPB (OK I know the HPPB is not
supported)
but no hard disks.

Previously I have installed PA-Linux on a 735/125.

I am trying to install palinux-2.4.18-pa59-ppc-20020728-netinstall image on
the K580
I am using a variety of SCSI disks I am trying to install to but I am having
problems.

The disks are being installed internally on the K580. I have downloaded the
users guide
from docs.hp.com.

First Try

I installed Tape and CD to Single ended bus of the Disk cage and install a
Maxtor Altas II
4.5G UW to ultra wide bus of Disk Cage and yes the cable was terminated.

The boot process found the CD, DDS3 but not the disk. I could boot from CD
but the installer
complained about on disk.

Second Try

I installed Tape and CD to Single ended bus of the Disk cage and install a
Seagate
2.1G SE to SE bus of Disk Cage in parallel with the CD and Tape.

The boot process found the CD, DDS3 but not the disk. I could boot from CD
but the installer
found the disk CD and Tape. I installed to disk and at reboot boot could not
find the disk
only the tape and the CD.

All other trys

I have tried various combinations but have not susceed in get the boot to
recognised the
hard disk. I cannot get Pa-linux to recognised the Ultra Wide bus which
leaves me to question
whether it is supported or do I have a hardware problem.

The Boot reports through its Search for Boot devices function that it finds

The 2 FC devices
the Lan (which I assume is the 10BaseT on the Core IO not the 100BaseT)
a sequential device (Tape Drive)
a random device (CD)

The primary boot device at present seems to me to be set up for the Fibre
Channel
(I think the I am not used to the addressing).

I have thought of Rboot or tftboot the K580 from the the 735 and then the
kernel will
recognise the disk. But this is not usefull in the long term as I may get
rid of the 735
and my Intel box which is my main server as I want to make the K580 my main
server.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated,

Steve Grady

BTW Thanks for a great port my little 735 just sits there and works (mostly
running SETI)