[parisc-linux] Voodoo2 PCI as XFree86 2D board on HP9000 C200

Alan Cox alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
22 Aug 2002 19:16:53 +0100

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 02:55, B. Douglas Hilton wrote:
> I used to have a V2 running in Linux several years ago, before
> the Banshee, before the Geforce. It really did kick butt and
> Quake and Quake2 were super nifty with it. I had my own version
> of Mesa compiled with Voodoo2 support and was the envy of my
> Linux buddies :-)

You'll need to rebuild glide2 and get it going on the box first, so that
is actually a good starting point anyway.

> What do I do, just use the jumper cable to link the
> Visualize-EG to the voodoo2, and start up X? Obviously
> I will need the glide libs, but will I also need /dev/tdfx?
> Can the Voodoo2 tdfx module be compiled for a 2.4.19-pa3 kernel?

You can do that, or you can run dual head

> What about console switching? If X is running on the Voodoo2,
> and I hit Alt-F2, will it switch back to the Visualize-EG like
> it should?

It does on x86 ... There is also sstfb which is a frame buffer/console
text driver for the voodoo1/2. That might need some endianisation. I'm
wondering if a USB card and a voodoo2 can turn even an A180 into a
desktop ;)