[parisc-linux] Voodoo2 PCI as XFree86 2D board on HP9000 C200

B. Douglas Hilton bdhilton@charter.net
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:55:35 -0400

Voodoo2 it is then. I'm sorry but these HP graphics cards
are terrible for X. 8-bit color is really the bottom of the
barrel, and if I can get 16bpp on a Voodoo2 then its well
worth the few bucks one costs these days, plus it adds an
exotic air to the machine... "A HP workstation with a 3dfx
voodoo2 ... oooh aaah." Hmm, might even be able to find some
ancient Quake source with glide support and get it to work.

I used to have a V2 running in Linux several years ago, before
the Banshee, before the Geforce. It really did kick butt and
Quake and Quake2 were super nifty with it. I had my own version
of Mesa compiled with Voodoo2 support and was the envy of my
Linux buddies :-)

What do I do, just use the jumper cable to link the
Visualize-EG to the voodoo2, and start up X? Obviously
I will need the glide libs, but will I also need /dev/tdfx?
Can the Voodoo2 tdfx module be compiled for a 2.4.19-pa3 kernel?

What about console switching? If X is running on the Voodoo2,
and I hit Alt-F2, will it switch back to the Visualize-EG like
it should?

Alan, if you could find a few minutes to send me your XF86Config-4
for one of these boards, or otherwise post some useful tips and
hints that would be great. V2 boards are extremely cheap on Ebay
and such these days, and those monsters deserve a fitting home
in something like a parisc box rather than a dumpster.

Cheers!
- Doug