Congratulations again! :-) [was:Re: [parisc-linux] Successful installation and keyboard problems]

Paul Seelig pseelig@uni-mainz.de
15 Apr 2002 16:28:25 +0200

helge.deller@sap.com (Helge Deller) writes:

> Please retry with a recent kernel.
>
> On Tuesday 09 April 2002 19:42, Paul Seelig wrote:
> > Because of NeXTSTEP i've once gotten rid of my HIL keyboard and mouse,
> > replacing both with standard PS/2 variants.  Unfortunately, at the
> > console the PS/2 keyboard (with German layout) chokes on pressing the
> > key containing the characters '>', '<' and '|' (on a german keyboard
> > the key between Shift and Y), only telling me:
> >
> >      keyboard: unrecognized scancode (7f) ignored

Upgrading to kernel 2.4.18 solved the keyboard problem. PPPOE now runs
fine as well and permitted a full "apt-get dist-upgrade" from Debian's
unstable.  XFree86 is up and running too but this machine is no fun
using with it due to the limiting 8-bit fbdev display and the overall
slowness of the machine.  Reminds me somewhat of my old i486DX/33
although the overall niceness of the 715/64 definitely beats it.
NeXTSTEP 3.3 and HP/UX 10.20 are way faster on the same hardware.
Above all, NeXTSTEP is able to use far larger color space (16-bit or
more, i'd have to look).  Somehow my usual iP233MMX feels so much
faster than before... ;-)

Fortunately Debian is truly Free Software[TM]. :-)

                                 Thanks a lot! *8^)
--
     ------------ Paul Seelig <pseelig@uni-mainz.de> --------------