[parisc-linux] K220 - Setup via. Console

Christoph Plattner christoph.plattner@gmx.at
Mon, 08 Apr 2002 21:39:34 +0200

Hello, there are some points to discuss and solve.

(1) cabeling:
First of all check RS232 pinout. My E55 HP server has some
non-standards,
not only that the RX/TX pins are swapped, the handshake lines are
completely non-standard mapped, and a simple Null-Modem cable does the
wrong ! (BTW: As HP has the wrong direction, a 1:1 cable is needed,
but again, the handshake lines are non-standard).

So check the RS232 port on the HP box. (On my 720 and 712 I never ahd
a problem, it was a standard RS232, PC-like).

(2) SUN
The SUN always has PC-like 25-pin connectors, but a gender-changer is
needed, as SUN always has the PC-pin layout, but a female instead of
male connector.

Even the 8-way serial ports of SUN (old S-bus one, and new PCI one),
always use the same female 25-pin connectors with PC-pinout.

Special connectors as mention in the other answers is only used at
Sun ICP/IPX: Mini-DIN 8pin
Sun SparcStation 20 (and perhaps 10): one 25-pin female connector
	with two ports (you need a Y-cable).

(3) Problems between PCs under BIOS/Microsoft control.
As Microsoft (and PC BIOSes) is (are) a proprietary non-standard system,
it also makes problems concerning the RS232 ports. Although hardware
handshake is turned off, the CTS pin (pin 5 on 25pin PC connector)
must be asserted. You need at mimimum a bridging cable between pin
4 and 5 (pin 7 and 8 on a DSUB-9pin).

The problem does not exist on SUN and on Linux PCs. The bridge is only
needed on the PC (hyperTerminal) side.

(4) XON/XOFF is often used on serial console, and as far as I know,
default !
So XON/XOFF should be enabnled, but again, this is my opinion.

(5) Serial Console:
Concerning the mail of the K220 console support.
If the serial console on the K220 is not supported, you can use the new
PDC Console Driver, you can find under non-standard serial drivers. It
supports the PDC console driver of the firmware to use under Linux
as driver `/dev/ttyB0'. In the help of this configuration option you can
find the steps, how to use this. I developed this driver for my E55, as
this machine is not supported, too.

So I hope ypu will find some hints and solve the problem.

With friendly regards
Christoph P.