[parisc-linux] K220 - Setup via. Console

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@lug-owl.de
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 17:06:42 +0200

--1Ow488MNN9B9o/ov

On Mon, 2002-04-08 15:56:44 +0100, Matthew Wilcox <willy@debian.org>
wrote in message <20020408155644.F27547@parcelfarce.linux.theplanet.co.uk>:
> On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 10:35:58PM -0700, Ahbaid Gaffoor wrote:
> > I am trying to use the console cable I have used with Sun boxes on this
> > machine, however I just cannot get it to work? My terminal emulation is
> > done via HyperTerminal on a laptopb via. COM1
>=20
> I think Sun have their own strange pinout whereas HP use a standard
> null-modem cable.

Older Suns use a jack that's identical to what Macs use; newer Systems
do have a female (!) DM25 jack which contains two serial ports: one
on the "standard" pins (you only need a genderchanger and a DB25 -> DB9
converter), the other port is on the unused pins (you can buy
split cables for 10 US-$ on ebay).

The round jack on those Macs/SGIs/Suns do have three important pins:
If you look at it, it looks like this:

        1     2     3

=20

   4            5        6

   =20
         7        8

(Yes, it's assymmetric). 4 and 6 are RxD and TxD, 5 is Ground. Happy

MfG, JBG
PS: I don't know which one of pin 4 and 6 is RxD and which one is TxD.
You maybe have to try and error...

--=20
Jan-Benedict Glaw   .   jbglaw@lug-owl.de   .   +49-172-7608481
	 -- New APT-Proxy written in shell script --
	   http://lug-owl.de/~jbglaw/software/ap2/

--1Ow488MNN9B9o/ov

--1Ow488MNN9B9o/ov--