[parisc-linux] Where to get recent parisc kernels w/o building?

Albert Strasheim fullung@ilink.nis.za
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 00:32:12 +0200

--aM3YZ0Iwxop3KEKx

I just spotted a note on my parisc-linux.org archive mentioning:

ftp://puffin.external.hp.com/pub/parisc/binaries/kernels/
or
http://puffin.external.hp.com/pub/parisc/binaries/kernels/

Enjoy!

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Albert Strasheim wrote:

> Hello,
>=20
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Neulinger, Nathan wrote:
>=20
> > Is there any convenient place to grab a 2.4.9 (or more recent) vmlinux =
for
> > parisc-linux other than getting it myself out of cvs? (Don't have a
> > functional build environment at the moment.)
>=20
> I suggest grabbing palo-latest, linux-latest and xc-latest from
> ftp://puffin.external.hp.com (I can't get to it at the moment, but maybe
> you can). Unless you are very lucky, you're going to at least need to
> change the boot parameters, for which you need palo anyway. So grab 'em
> and set up a build environment if you're REALLY serious about your HP.
> :-)
> =20
> > Also, what about a working gcc? I've apt-get upgrade'd everything, and =
gcc
> > complains about lots of header file goofiness when compiling even a sim=
ple
> > hello world program.
>=20
> As far as I know, we're still missing a kernel-headers package for hppa.
> I could be wrong. Perhaps you should find the right person and complain
> about this. :-) I think a suggested solution was to force-install the
> sparc headers or something...
> =20
> > Also, does the kernel build have to be done cross-compile, or can it be
> > built on the parisc-linux machine itself?
>=20
> You can build it either way. I don't have a 2nd HP machine, so I have to
> cross-compile. It's actually pretty nice considering that I have access
> to a SMP p3-600 box. :-)
>=20
> Regards,
>=20