[parisc-linux] Where to get recent parisc kernels w/o building?

Albert Strasheim fullung@ilink.nis.za
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 23:23:55 +0200

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

Hello,

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Neulinger, Nathan wrote:

> Is there any convenient place to grab a 2.4.9 (or more recent) vmlinux for
> parisc-linux other than getting it myself out of cvs? (Don't have a
> functional build environment at the moment.)

I suggest grabbing palo-latest, linux-latest and xc-latest from
ftp://puffin.external.hp.com (I can't get to it at the moment, but maybe
you can). Unless you are very lucky, you're going to at least need to
change the boot parameters, for which you need palo anyway. So grab 'em
and set up a build environment if you're REALLY serious about your HP.
:-)
=20
> Also, what about a working gcc? I've apt-get upgrade'd everything, and gcc
> complains about lots of header file goofiness when compiling even a simple
> hello world program.

As far as I know, we're still missing a kernel-headers package for hppa.
I could be wrong. Perhaps you should find the right person and complain
about this. :-) I think a suggested solution was to force-install the
sparc headers or something...
=20
> Also, does the kernel build have to be done cross-compile, or can it be
> built on the parisc-linux machine itself?

You can build it either way. I don't have a 2nd HP machine, so I have to
cross-compile. It's actually pretty nice considering that I have access
to a SMP p3-600 box. :-)

Regards,

Albert

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5