[parisc-linux] How to merge Kernel 2.4.9 for hppa and new kernel 2.4.10

Jurriaan Kalkman Jurriaan.Kalkman@zrt.nl
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:16:49 +0200

>Hi all,
>
>I just learn that new release 2.4.10 of GNU/linux kernel was released.
>I am curious to know how to merge last kernel 2.4.9-paxx and the new
>2.4.10?
>Is somebody can explain me or where to find relevant info?

- get a plain 2.4.9 source tree
- make a diff between 2.4.9-paxx and 2.4.9
- download the 2.4.9-2.4.10 diff
- apply to the 2.4.9 sourcetree and create a 2.4.10 sourcetree
- apply 2.4.9-paxx diff to 2.4.10

which should all be straight-forward, but then
- solve all the .rej files that are created, and debug the new kernel

which is something I wouldn't want to do :-)

If you read the linux-kernel mailing list, you'll see that some people =
claim=20
2.4.10 is the best thing since sliced bread, but the first serious VM =
problems
have been sighted already, so upgrading right away is risky.

Eventually, it'll be in the CVS at puffin.external.hp.com. Until then, the =
best
thing to do is wait, unless you have the capabilities to debug the last =
step.
If so, I think there are other things to get your teeth in - just ask =
here.

Good luck,
Jurriaan