Don't Use base tarballs (was Re: [parisc-linux] nfsroot login problems on 720/50)

Albert Strasheim fullung@ilink.nis.za
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 00:47:00 +0200

--0F1p//8PRICkK4MW

Hello,

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Matt Taggart wrote:

> Albert Strasheim writes...
>=20
> > Should I try the base tarball (same date... :-( ) or is that known to be
> > bad too?
>=20
> Neither are "bad" just out of date. As soon as we had a real installer=20
> everyone switched over to using that. They were left there for historical=
=20
> reasons.
>=20
> I have moved them to an old directory to prevent confusion. No one should=
 be=20
> using these any more. If, for some good reason, you can't use the normal=
=20
> installer process then I think the proper way to generate base tarballs n=
ow is=20
> to use the debootstrap tool. If there's enough demand then we could gener=
ate=20
> them and put them on the ftp site again.

I'd gotten as far as debootstrapping woody up to the point where all the
packages were installed. As you might imagine, running binaries in the
chroot on my i386 didn't work too well :-)

If it is at all possible, could you please generate new tarballs? I'm
not sure if it is possible to complete the installation on my 720/50, so
the tarball will really go a long way to getting some userland apps
running so that I can perhaps provide better information for the real
hackers who are figuring out the unaligned trap stuff.

Regards,

Albert

--0F1p//8PRICkK4MW

--0F1p//8PRICkK4MW--