Don't Use base tarballs (was Re: [parisc-linux] nfsroot login problems on 720/50)

Matt Taggart taggart@carmen.fc.hp.com
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 14:37:57 -0600

Albert Strasheim writes...

> Should I try the base tarball (same date... :-( ) or is that known to be
> bad too?

Neither are "bad" just out of date. As soon as we had a real installer
everyone switched over to using that. They were left there for historical
reasons.

I have moved them to an old directory to prevent confusion. No one should be
using these any more. If, for some good reason, you can't use the normal
installer process then I think the proper way to generate base tarballs now is
to use the debootstrap tool. If there's enough demand then we could generate
them and put them on the ftp site again.

--
Matt Taggart        Linux Development Lab
taggart@fc.hp.com   HP Linux Systems Operation