[parisc-linux] nfsroot login problems on 720/50

Albert Strasheim fullung@ilink.nis.za
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 01:56:10 +0200

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

Hello,

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Carlos O'Donell Jr. wrote:

> The rbootd is good.
> The lifimage is good.
> The bootp server is good.
>=20
> The baseplus root tarball is bad.

Should I try the base tarball (same date... :-( ) or is that known to be
bad too?
=20
> Coming from a similar situation, I had to manually change the
> permissions on the baseplus tarball to get it to work.=20
> Though I clearly can't remember what else I had to do... it was
> quite some time ago. I'm now using apt-get and the latest ISO to
> install machines.
>=20
> Questions:
>=20
> - Are you using devfs?

I have not modified anything in the nfsroot to use devfs, and I don't
think it's in the make oldconfig kernel I'm using, so I'd guess not.

> - Tried just letting the login prompt sit for a while after attempting
>   to login? (Usually the error might come after a _long_ time).

Yes, it's been sitting for many hours without any luck.

> On another note, you should try the cdrom installer, since it's
> much better and people have put a lot of work into it.

I have tried the CD-ROM installer (0.9.2), but kernel on there wouldn't
let me get past where init starts (more of this unaligned trap
goodness, according to the debian-hppa folks); init was running in some
kind of loop or something.

Should I perhaps try to boot 2.4.9-pa22, and modify the PALO arguments
to boot from this CD-ROM?

Regards,

Albert

P.S. Are there any 720/50's out there that actually work? :-)

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp--