[parisc-linux] nfsroot login problems on 720/50

Carlos O'Donell Jr. carlos@megatonmonkey.net
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 18:05:29 -0400

> Good day,
>
> This message was also sent to debian-hppa. I was wondering anyone on
> this list had any ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
> Albert
>

> I've managed to boot my 720/50 using Linux 2.4.9-pa20 (not -pa22 as I
> stated in my original post)  over the LAN (with a make palo lifimage),
> using a combination of rbootd (for the lifimage), bootpd (for the IP
> address and such), and the userspace nfs daemon for the
> baseplus-20010404.tar.gz NFS root.

The rbootd is good.
The lifimage is good.
The bootp server is good.

The baseplus root tarball is bad.

Coming from a similar situation, I had to manually change the
permissions on the baseplus tarball to get it to work.
Though I clearly can't remember what else I had to do... it was
quite some time ago. I'm now using apt-get and the latest ISO to
install machines.

Questions:

- Are you using devfs?
- Tried just letting the login prompt sit for a while after attempting
  to login? (Usually the error might come after a _long_ time).

On another note, you should try the cdrom installer, since it's
much better and people have put a lot of work into it.

Cheers,
Carlos.