[parisc-linux] Odd X display

Helge Deller deller@gmx.de
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 09:12:49 +0200

Hi Tom,

On Saturday 15 September 2001 08:08, Tom wrote:
> First of all, big thanks to all for the latest patches to the kernel. It
> appears that my 715/100 is *finally* completely working - keyboard
> included. Even XF86 works now, except for a weird display. It appears that
> the color depth or refresh is wrong, but I'm not sure how it can be. The
> monitor is a HP A1097C, 1280x1024x8, 78.125/72.008 h/v refresh. I'm using
> fbdev for the driver, the boot shows that as the detected frame buffer.

The current XF86 fbdev driver has a bug, which seems to not initialize
the color-table correctly (at least on PA). If you start for example xmag
and xgalaga at the same time and then switch between the windows
you will get the correct colors.
Furthermore support for the HIL mouse is still missing, but you
may use an old serial mouse and use it instead for now.
Some PA machines have PS/2 mouse and keyboards, which I
think will work correctly. I don't have such a machine so that I really
can't confirm this.

> .... I don't recall
> anything like this being posted on here yet, so I'm thinking it's
> something in my config that's wrong, and that I don't recognize since most
> of what I do is x86, not PA-RISC...

It has been posted a few times already, but I think someone should
maybe report it upstream at some point...

Helge

1À5CP×.A0/0/0/0/8Ö.A8Ö.AàËü@0