[parisc-linux] AUI on 725-100

Martin K. Petersen mkp@mkp.net
12 Sep 2001 23:18:41 -0400

>>>>> "Bent" == Bent Wagner <psy@get2net.dk> writes:

Bent> I have some 725-100 boxes, but no AUI to rj45 adapters.

Bent> I have a HUB with an AUI connector on it.

Bent> Can i connect those two without using adapters, and if so how
Bent> should the cable be wired?

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/service/knowledge/pinouts/aui.htm

Bent> It seems odd to me that you should put adapters between the
Bent> machine and the HUB. Why not make it a BNC or rj45 instead?

AUI was the standard ethernet interface many years ago.  It had the
advantage that you could connect a suitable transceiver depending on
your network type (thick, thin, RJ45, fibre).

There's a similar media-independent interface for Fast Ethernet called
MII.  You'll find that on a lot of high-end equipment.

--
Martin K. Petersen      Cereal Bowl Engineer, Linuxcare, Inc.
http://mkp.net/         SGI XFS, Linux/PA-RISC, GNOME