[parisc-linux] cvs update gives 'move away ....' on every file

thunder7@xs4all.nl thunder7@xs4all.nl
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 15:29:44 +0200

- downloaded the linux-latest.tar.gz archive
- created /home/cvs/parisc and made sure I had enough permissions
- untarred the linux-latest.tar.gz archive there, creating
  /home/cvs/parisc/linux
- installed cvs
- made sure there's a variable CVSROOT in my environment, value:
  ":pserver:anonymous@puffin.external.hp.com:/home/cvs/parisc" (without
  the " of course)
- created ~/.cvsrc, containing:
cvs -z3 -q
diff -uNp
update -Pd
rm -f
- typed 'cd /home/cvs/parisc; cvs update'

result:

jurriaan@pa8200:/home/cvs/parisc$ cvs update -A
cvs update: move away linux/.cvsignore; it is in the way
C linux/.cvsignore
cvs update: move away linux/COPYING; it is in the way
C linux/COPYING
cvs update: move away linux/CREDITS; it is in the way
C linux/CREDITS
cvs [update aborted]: received interrupt signal

and so on. Comments on www.google.com and various mailin-lists seem to
indicate this is often a server-error. I can't really believe that,
since it seems to work for everyone else.

I retried it with linux-20010830.tar.gz, and the same messages were
printed.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Jurriaan
--
Cool is one thing, but you're frozen solid.
	Startrek DS9: Vic Fontaine to Odo.