[parisc-linux] how to use dpkg/dselect/apt-get ???

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Pasi_K=E4rkk=E4inen?= pasik@iki.fi
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 23:39:25 +0300 (EEST)

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, Nicholas Leippe wrote:

> Thankyou for the link.  Unfortunately, I've already read that one
> and found it of little help.
>
> I am not against whatever debian uses considering all the wonderful
> features it's supposed to have, just rather annoyed that it is such a
> difficult/disgusting interface.

Some basic commands:

This will update the list of available packages:

=09apt-get update

This will upgrade all of your installed packages to newest versions:

=09apt-get dist-upgrade

Searching for a package 'foo':

=09apt-cache search foo

Download and install package 'foo':

=09apt-get install foo

Listing the files in package 'foo':

=09dpkg -L foo

Displaying status of package 'foo':

=09dpkg -s foo

Display information of not-installed package 'foo':

=09apt-cache show foo

Removing package 'foo':

=09apt-get remove foo
or
=09dpkg --purge foo

Checking to what package file 'foo' belongs to:

=09dpkg -S /path/to/foo

And so on..

the 'sources' for apt are configured in /etc/apt/sources.list
You can add your favourite mirror in there.

And if you need to find which package includes file 'foo' you can check it
from http://packages.debian.org (use the search that let's you search insid=
packages).

Hope that helps.

- Pasi K=E4rkk=E4inen