[parisc-linux] how to use dpkg/dselect/apt-get ???

Tomasz Korycki engine2@flow.mine.nu
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 18:48:28 -0400

I am _not_ going to quote anybody, because then it might be assumed I am
disputing _somebody's_ point of view, instead of a _particular_ one. So
here goes.

Think of a word "processor". In a community of computer-relating people
this word will have an assumed specific meaning of a "central processing
unit". In a community of food-relating people it may mean "food processor".
In a community of paperwork-relating people it may mean a "application
processor", ie: person that processes applications. The point is, all
communities have their own meanings for words or expressions, and a whole
set of assumptions that go with them. It's not wrong or right. Just different.

Debian model was chosen for PA linux. dpkg/dselect and friends go with this
choice. It may be unfamiliar to some, but it is just _different_. When You
switch over from HPUX to AIX, You have no sam to help You, You have
smit/ty. It's different. You need to get to know the new guy. He's not here
to hurt You, but help You. But You won't know how to ask for help, until
You learn how to convey what You need to him. He assumes certain things,
and so do You. The trick is to get those two sets as close as possible.
When You know him _that_ well, then You can start working on changing him.
Criticizing him or his assumptions, MO and so on will not work until You
know everything that can be done with this new - in this case - tool. Get
to know it, then Your criticism will have far more weight.

And, as a parting note, I am as bewildered by it as some. Esp since I used
package commands on Solaris, and it ain't the same, despite similar
sounding names... But I'm learning.